Sunday, March 31, 2013

Farm Girl in Progress

This week I am finally feeling like a bonafide farmer. Well not quite but definitely getting there. These beautiful Spring days have been so busy. But I'm loving it!!
Once you have animals as part of your homestead your days start much early then before. Ever since the chicks arrived last week my internal alarm clock has been going off before sunrise. I get up early and check on the chicks. Usually by morning they have finished their food and are famished. I clean their food and water dishes add fresh hay to the brooder and check the temperature. I have been fermenting the chicken feed with whey for the chicks. Each morning I start a new batch of fermented feed by soaking 2 scoops of feed in whey. I have been supplementing with leftover table scraps as well but they do prefer the commercial feed.

This week I got my peas and spinach planted outside and my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant planted inside. My son does a great job watering the garden for me everyday :)
At the community garden, where I am doing some work, I got "my" row tilled, weeded and covered with goat manure and straw.

But the biggest best thing that happened this week that made me say to myself I am really a farmer was witnessing my friend's goat give birth. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. I got to my friend Debby's house Friday morning. After about a 1/2 an hour Debby said to me I think the little goat is in labor. In a matter of minutes the goat started pushing. Debby ran inside and got her kidding kit. When she checked the baby goat's presentation was wrong. One of the hooves was stuck. After a quick phone call Debby adjusted the kid. 2 minutes later a little buckling was born. 10 minutes after that another kid, a little doeling was born. I helped Debby dry off the kids and dip the umbilical cords in iodine. It was incredible!
Photo Credit: Debby of SheepGateFarm

The more and more time I spend on the "farm" with my hands in the dirt or caring for the animals the more I want to have my own real farm. I am so motivated to buy land in the country. I will be doing some major penny pinching to make my farming dreams a reality.
This week I am linking up to:


MysimpleCountryliving
Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest

www.SmallFootprintFamily.com


4 comments:

  1. It is an amazing experience! Nothing quite like seeing a brand new life start :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Sarah. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. After I got chickens, I've never set an alarm clock! I can't wait to get up and see them in the morning.

    You are so lucky to have seen a goat birth. I have a goat, but only one!

    Good luck with your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. Yes those little chicks are so nice to see early each morning.

      Delete