Monday, March 25, 2013

The Chicks are Here!!!

Yesterday I got an e-mail from my friend saying that the chicks arrived earlier than expected and if I could pick them up right away. Well being how I am I was totally unprepared lol. I hadn't bought the feed yet and my son broke the bulb in the heat lamp.
So I packed up the gang and drove out east to my friend's house about 45 minutes from my home. On the way I stopped at the feed store and just my luck they were out of chick starter. Fortunately they are getting a delivery today. While I was there I got a bale of hay. Next stop Home Depot to get a new bulb.
When I got to my friends house she had the chicks all ready to go with a small bag of feed for me. She really is a life saver! We cranked up the heat in the car and hoped for the best.
This is my first time raising chicks or even chickens for the matter. So I am just a little paranoid. Every little sound I was freaking out. We all made it home safe Alhamdulillah.
I got 3 Cornish cross rocks and 3 Cornish game hens. Technically where I live chickens are not allowed but since these will be culled before anyone notices I should be ok.
Right now they are staying in my basement in my make shift brooder. I had them in a wooden box that I had got for the brooder but the walls were too high so I couldn't get the lamp close enough to keep them warm. So I moved them into a Rubbermaid tub. I put paper towels over some straw in the bottom. I don't have a proper waterer or feeder now but will get one today. 
Isn't it cute?
Baby chickies taking a nap.

I was nervous at first but now I am absolutely loving having these little guys here. It has been so much fun so far. Better than watching T.V.

This week I am linking up for the Barn Hop at

and I am linking up to the Farm Girl Friday Blog Hop


No comments:

Post a Comment