Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 4 of the Third Annual Flats and Hand Washing Challenge


"I am taking part in the Third Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all. You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post. This year there are over 400 participants from all over the world!"

This week is flying by. I am half way through this challenge and actually think I may make it to the end. If you had asked me this morning you would have gotten a totally different answer. I was set on quitting this morning. I hadn't gotten to wash yesterday and was faced with a large pile of poopy diapers this morning. My son had a record of 4 poopy diapers in a 24 hour period. We recently switched to raw milk which I think might be causing the increase in poop.
My saving grace I suppose was that the internet wasn't working so I had nothing better to do than wash those darn diapers. LOL.
This is a picture from last year's challenge. My camera is on the fritz :(

I am still not sure if we will make it to the end of the day. I have one dry diaper left and some jersey fabric if I am desperate. I thought I had 16 diapers...turns out I only have 10!
This year I have been washing in the bathtub instead of a 5 gallon bucket like I did last year. I fill the tub enough that the diapers can move freely in the water. Then I add my soap. I have been using dawn just because I keep forgetting to go down into the basement to get my homemade laundry soap. Then the fun part begins. The stomping! I get in the tub and walk all over the diapers squishing out every last bit of dirt. I totally feel as if I should be chanting "crush the grapes" while doing this. BB likes to get in there and help during the rinse cycle. I have found this method more efficient then using my hands. It even is a great way to wring the diapers out.  

Don't forget I am giving away a new pair of homemade wool longies size large- x large. To enter please leave a comment. The winner will be announced Monday.

Here is my post on hand washing from last year's challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment